Area Services

Register to Vote

To be eligible to register to vote, you must be a legal resident of the state county, and prior to voting in an election, must have resided at your residential address for at least 30 days prior to the date of the election.  Likewise, you must be at least 18 years old or will be 18 by the date of the next general election.  Register to vote at the following location:  Board of Elections Office, 1241A Military Cutoff Road, Wilmington, NC.  You may call (910) 798-7330 or visit the web site,  Forms are available at all county libraries.

Driver's License

Newcomers must obtain a driver license within 60 days of establishing a permanent residence.  To obtain a NC REAL ID driver license, newcomers should bring:

  1. Their out-of-state license,
  2. 1 form of identity such as a Birth Certificate, a valid, unexpired REAL ID driver license, or valid unexpired US Passport,
  3. 1 proof of Social Security number or ITN (Individual Tax Payer Number),
  4. 2 forms of proof of residency, ( for details of accepted forms of identification) and
  5. Proof of liability insurance

to a North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) testing station, where they must pass a road sign recognition and vision test. (Effective May 2014, written test is no longer required if you hold a current driver’s license from another state).

 If your name has changed, 1 document with proof of name change: such as a Certified marriage license/certificate, Certified divorce decree, or see for details of other accepted forms of identification.  

 All first-time applicants for driver licenses, learner’s permits and ID cards must provide proof of residency, and proof of age and identity.  All applicants must provide proof of their full name, age, and their Social Security number.  See the DMV website, for details of accepted forms of identification.  Road tests are given at the examiner’s discretion.  The NCDMV accepts cash, personal checks may be accepted if drawn from a local North Carolina bank, and money orders, as well as Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit and debit cards.  If you are under the age of 65 and older than 21, your license is valid for up to 8 years.  When you pass your 65th birthday, your license will expire every 5 years and you will be unable to renew online.  All minor applicants under the age of 18 years old must have a “drivers eligibility certificate”, high school diploma or its equivalent, or other forms listed on to be eligible for a NC driving permit or license.    For information:  (919) 715-7000 or Driver’s License Examining Stations are located at 1 Station Road, Wilmington, (910) 350-2005 or 2390 Carolina Beach Road, Suite 104; South Square Plaza, Wilmington, (910) 251-5747.

NC Vehicle Inspections

For new residents moving from out-of-state have 10 days after getting their NC auto tag to have their vehicle inspected and the inspection sticker displayed on their vehicle.  Inspections are done at service stations throughout the community that display the official NC Inspection station sign.  For information, call (910) 350-2007 or

NC Vehicle Registration

A newcomer usually has 30 days or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first, to register their vehicle.  Regulations regarding vehicle registrations and license tags vary because some requirements are based on the regulations of a newcomer’s previous state of residence.  To change an out-of-state title, an owner must show the title, and registration card from your prior state of residence, liability insurance company name, and policy number to certify coverage.  For general recorded information, call (919) 715-7000 or  Registration locations are 2390 Carolina Beach Road, Suite 104; South Square Plaza, Wilmington, (910) 763-6752 or 13 South Kerr Avenue, Market Plaza Shopping Center, Wilmington, 910-397-0277.

Social Security Card

  Social Security Administration (SSA), 1528 S. 16th Street, Wilmington, NC, 28401.  The phone number is (910) 815-4733.  Information is available by telephone 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday at 1-800-772-1213.  Apply for a new, replacement, or revised Social Security card by following the instructions on the Social Security website or contacting the SSA via telephone at the phone numbers shown above.  These application forms can be completed and printed from the Social Security Administration website and then mailed to the local Social Security office. Original identification is required.  Additional information can be obtained at,

Passport Applications

To obtain a passport, there are two locations, here in Wilmington, to apply.  Wilmington Post Office, 152 N. Front Street, Wilmington, NC, 28401-3957, by appointment ONLY, call (910) 962-2432 for assistance.  The office is open from 9am to 4pm, Monday thru Friday, and there is photo availability on site.  You may also visit the US Postal Service web site, for more information regarding, first time applications, renewals, extra visa pages, etc.;  UNCW, 601 South College Road, Wilmington, NC, 28403, phone (910) 962-2432.  There is photo availability on site (Auxiliary Services, in the Warwick Center) and the office is open from

8 am to 3:30pm, Monday thru Friday.  You may visit the UNCW web site, for more information.  First-Time Applicants:  Requirements – 1) Applicants must be a U.S. citizen.  2) All applicants MUST appear in person.  3) Effective 07/02/01, both parents must appear for minors age thirteen (13) and under.  If parent is unable to appear, a notarized letter of consent or other legal documents must be presented at the time of applying.  4) Applicants age fourteen (14) and over must personally sign their passport application. 5) Completed Form DS-11.  Documentation – Submit any of the following documents that apply to you – 1) A certified birth certificate from the county or state in which you were born (hospital certificates are not acceptable).  2) A naturalization certificate or Report of Birth Abroad document.  3) A state or federal issued picture ID such as driver’s license, ID card or military ID.  4) Parental ID is required for children under the age of fourteen (14).  5) Two identical passport photos (sufficiently recent – normally not more than 6 months old – to be a good likeness of and satisfactorily identify the applicant) with a plain white or light-colored background, 2×2 inches in size, measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair), should be no less than 1 inch and no more than 1-3/8 inches, and photographs should be in color.  Renewals:  You can renew by mail if; Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport 15 years ago; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name clearly.  If your passport has been, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail.  You must apply in person.  More information, regarding passports, may be obtained by visiting or UNCW does not process renewal applications.  North Carolina passport applicants now have a convenient way to get their passport fast through your local FedEx Office. They provide expedited passport services in as little as 24 hours through RushMyPassport.  More information can be obtained from FedEx by calling (800) 220-1899.

Library Cards

New Hanover County Public Library, 201 Chestnut Street, phone (910) 798-6301 or (910) 798-6300 or  You will need to bring two pieces of identification; one should list a local address.  Cards are free and updated yearly for people who live in New Hanover County.  Cards are also free to residents of other counties who own and pay taxes on property in New Hanover County, proof of ownership is required.  Anyone who lives outside New Hanover County and does not own property in the county may receive a card good for one year for $20.  The library is open Monday-Thursday, 10am – 7pm; Friday-Saturday, 10am – 5pm; and Sunday, 1pm – 5pm.  A library card, obtained at one of the three branch libraries, can be used at the main branch library.  The Library’s branches are as follows:  Northeast Regional Library, 1241 Military Cut-off Road, (910) 798-6371; Pine Valley Library at 3803 South College Road, (910) 798-6300; and the Pleasure Island Library located at 1401 N. Lake Park Boulevard, Carolina Beach, (910) 798-6385.  Their hours are as follows: open Monday-Thursday, 10am – 7pm; Friday-Saturday, 10am – 5pm; and Sunday, 1pm – 5pm.  For additional information you can contact the New Hanover County Library at


Marriage License

The New Hanover County Register of Deeds is located at 320 Chestnut Street, Suite 102 in downtown Wilmington; Phone (910) 798-4530.  A satellite office of the Register of Deeds is also located at 230 Government Center, Suite 185.  Open Monday-Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.  Cost:  $50.  Get marriage license within 60 days of wedding date.  There is no waiting period, physical exam or blood test required.  Couples must have valid identification:  over 18, a driver’s license or a certified copy of a birth certificate or military ID. The legal age for marriage in North Carolina is 18.  If less than 18 years of age, contact the Register of Deeds’ office at (910) 798-4530 for Special License requirements and information regarding consenting parents.  For more information and to download forms, visit the following website:

Birth Certificate Copies

The New Hanover County Register of Deeds office is located at 320 Chestnut Street, Suite 102 in downtown Wilmington; Phone (910) 798-4530.  A satellite office of the Register of Deeds is also located at 230 Government Center, Suite 185.  A person born in New Hanover County must supply name, date of birth, father’s name and mother’s maiden name.  Fee:  $10 per certified copy and $1 per uncertified copy.  Open Monday – Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm. A request of a birth certificate can be made online and pay with Visa or MasterCard by visiting the NCVitals website at or Getcertificatenow website at  Contact the Register or Deeds office for more information about restrictions on who may receive copies.  Natives of North Carolina born in other counties may write to those counties for copies or to Vital Records Branch, Division or Health Services, P.O. Box 29537, Raleigh, NC  27626.  The state fee is $10.  You can also visit, for more information and to download forms.

Public School Enrollment

Parents of children entering school as kindergartners or first graders in the New Hanover County School System must bring a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, immunization records, NC Health Assessment, the child’s SS card and proof of address, Residency/Registration Affidavit (must be Notarized), and Safe Schools Enrollment Document (must be Notarized).  In addition, parent/guardian identification and proof of parent/guardian residence in New Hanover County is also required.  Students transferring into the New Hanover County School System a copy of their most recent report card is also needed.  The most recent standardized testing data is also helpful.  The school your children should attend may be obtained by calling the Board of Education, (910) 763-5431 or  Call or check the website of your local school for the school calendar.  Additional information can be obtain at or by calling (910) 254-4200.

Senior Services

Meals on Wheels, Inc., (910) 798-6435

New Hanover County Senior Resource Center, (910) 798-6400

New Hanover County Senior Resource Center – – Transportation Services, (910) 798-6401